Early Years qualifications
DCYA Early Years Qualification Recognition Application Form
DYCA has published a list of qualifications that meet the regulatory requirements for working in the Early Years sector in Ireland. The list can be viewed on the DYCA website Childcare Qualifications
- All staff in Early Years services working with children will need a minimum of a full QQI (Fetac) Level 5 qualification in ECCE.
- All Preschool (ECCE) Room Leaders will need a minimum of a full QQI (Fetac) Level 6 qualification in ECCE.
Other qualification requirements:
- Child protection training: All early years workers will be required to have completed Child Protection Training and keep it updated every two years .
- First Aid: There must be at least one certified first aid person on the premises at all times.( Reg 6).First aid certificates need to be updated every two years. Best practice is that all early years workers be trained in First Aid.
- Manual handling- all early years practitioners must renew at least every three years or if their role changes significantly during this time- Safety, Health and Welfare at work Regulations (General Application) 2007 Chapter 4 Part 2
- Fire Safety- all early years practitioners should be trained in using fire equipment- Section 18(2) of the Fire Services Act 1981 & 2003 as well as advised under the Fire Safety in Preschools guide 1999.
- Food Handling – all early years practitioners providing food for children must have completed the primary food hygiene course.
- Garda Vetting: All early years workers must have Garda vetting prior to starting work ( Reg 8.2 and Standard operating Procedures on Garda Vetting)
Childcare Services may contact the Childcare Committee for information about the availability of relevant courses for accredited and mandatory training.