Childcare Services are registered by Tusla Child & Family Agency under the Childcare Act Preschool Services Regulations. Services may be registered by Tusla under the following types:-
1. Sessional Services – Services offer a planned programme, 3.5 hours or less per session. Sessional services may include pre-schools, playgroups, crèches, montessori pre- schools, naíonraí, registered childminders or similar services which generally cater for children in 0-6 age range.
2. Part-time Services – Services which offer a planned programme between 3.5 and 5 hours and may include a sessional pre-school service for pre-school children. Part-time services must provide the same physical environment including rest, play and sanitary facilities as for full day services.
3. Full Day Care Services – Day care services for pre-school children for more than 5 hours. Full day services covered by this definition are those offering a structured full day service for children which may include a part-time service and a sessional service and must provide a physical environment which includes rest, play and sanitary facilities.
4. Childminders – People who mind children for all or part of a day in the childminder’s home. Childminders who care for up to 5 children are legally required to register their service to Health Service Executive and they receive an inspection from the Pre-school Services Officer.
5. School Age Childcare Services – School Age childcare services provide care on a sessional or part-time basis for school aged children outside the normal school hours. Some of the services described in 1,2 and 3 above also provide services for school age children.
Parents should expect that their child should be safe, well-cared for and happy in a childcare service.
All Childcare Services which are registered by Tusla may be seen by clicking on the following link:
All Childcare Services in contract to deliver the Government Schemes (ECCE, CETS, CCS) have been mapped by Pobal, click on the following link:
Please note: According to the Pre-School Service Regulations Childcare (Amendment) Act 2007 childcare providers providing the above services up to age 6 years are required to register. The Contact person in Waterford is Preschool Inspector, Monica Ryan on 051 842897.
Please contact Waterford Childcare Committee if you would like a list of the childcare services offering any of the childcare support schemes.